Monday, September 13, 2010

Park after all day rain=bad idea

Sometimes I just do not think.  Clearly the early 90's can attest to that.  My latest round of non-thinking came just today. Yesterday it rained.  ALL.DAY.  I knew that today should be an indoor day.  But here is the thing.  Well two things.  I am going away in 3 days.  I have a lot to do before I go, one being pack.  In order to pack, I need to do laundry.  In order to do laundry I need little kid napping.  I do the best work when he is asleep.  I am not sure why, but I do.  The other thing is, I like for little kid to get out and get fresh air.  When little kid gets fresh air he usually naps.  Then I can do laundry and pack and go away. 

So we called little kid's BFF from down the street and we decided on a fun and sure to be a great place to play park.  I would like to note that we did pick a park that was sand free as of course that would be STUPID to take two 3 year old boys to a park with sand the day after Noah's Ark went through town.  Luckily BFF's mom was smart enough to bring a towel to dry the equipment.  Well, she dried the slides and I tried to dispute middle kid's $380 cell phone bill *to no avail BTW*.  Great we had dry slides.

What we didn't have was dry steps, or tunnels.  Guess what, wet painted playground equipment mixed with wet plastic shoes and 30 mph running boys equals a sheer diaster.  BFF had on  a new outfit.  I am pretty sure when we left it wasn't suitable for the homeless man we use to see at Carl's Junior that Big kid use to ask "why doesn't he just go to Carl's and ask them for food, why do we have to give him our food?".  The boys were filthy at best.  Wood chips were stuck to their clothes, faces were dirty.  And the topper... a few bumps and bruises.  BFF was twisting the swing only to have it twist back and smack him in the side of the head.  Do you know how heavy those swings are?  Ask BFF, they are pretty heavy.  He will remeber that for a while.

While BFF was getting consoled for his near fatal accident, little kid ran over to me.  I was sitting on a swing.  He ran right past me.  And into the pole.  It was funny, even if it wasn't, but it was.  He has a nice bruise mid-forehead to remember the fun day at the park.  Or not remember depending on what grade concussion he got. 

So the lesson was learned today.  If it has rained at anytime in the last 24 hours we will be forced to play indoors for the safety of the child.  I do not need a CPS visit because I was trying to let my kid enjoy the park on a not a safe park day.

Side note...he did not nap, but considering the lump on his head it is proably for the best, I would have had to wake him up every 30 minutes to insure he was still breathing and stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment