Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Mrs. Fix-it

A few months ago we had a 'small' issue with the washer and the water draining.  Turns out, the pipes were backed up and the kitchen sink was draining through my open washer, onto the floor, into the clothes I had 'strategically' left on the floor of the laundry room.  My Dad came out and cleaned out the pipes, and all was working good.  Well last night I was trying to do more laundry and the washer came up with an error code.  It was the one that says it was taking too long to drain.  I told the hubs I was going to fix it.  So He took the pipe cover off and Big kid and I sat there and ran things through the pipe.  Things like a hair catcher, a section of pipe, a hockey stick.  You know all the regular plumber tools.  Finally, I had a brillant idea!! I will tape a small sock to the end of a broomstick and that will clean out the pipe.  As I shoved the stick in the pipe I faintly heard the Hubs say, 'you may want to check the tape and make sure it is on there tight!'.  No, why do I need to do that?

You see where this is going right?  Pulled the broomstick out and no sock.  Good, I planned for it to stay in there...it will be a filter!  I am so brillant!! So at 7:30 on Labor day Monday I am off to Lowe's to buy a snake.  Back home with our new snake we cleaned the pipe and cleaned it good.  Closed it up and KNEW that the washer would drain properly.  We are good you know.  Washer started and made it quite a while and then it flashed a new code.  CRAP!!! Looked up that error code.  It appears there is a trap on the front of the washer under the drum.  We removed the front panel and Hubs had to get in to remove the cover.  It was full of water.  And other stuff.  I think we could have made $100 in change if w cleaned it out of the lint, paper, hair, and lord knows what else that was shoved in that trap.  So I slowly but optomistically forged ahead.  Maybe we fixed it this time? 

Well, 3 loads later and it is all running in working order.  I am so GLAD that I was here to fix that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment