Saturday, January 8, 2011

Not always the brightest crayon in the box

Middle Kid, I love you.  I do.  You are not only a great little man, pleasant and polite.  You do your homework, you practice your trumpet.  You help with chores when asked.  You are a great kid.  I do however dread your teen years, I am pretty sure you are going to give me a run for my money. 

But, and this is a big one.  You sometimes, well, how do I put this lightly.  You, are not always the brightest crayon in the box.  Please, take a second, a split second really, to think before you act.  Here is an example from today. 

You just finished your hockey game and you need to remove your skates.  Please just before you decide to remove the snow from the blades think for one second.  A smart person will say...no, the blades are sharp.  That is how I can turn and stop on a dime.  If I were to rub my finger down the blade, I may just cut my finger. 

See where this is going.  Guess what Middle Kid thought was a good idea?  He removed the snow.  And with it, a chunk of skin and lost what appears to be gallons of blood.  Now you want to complain that I shouldn't put anti germ cream on it and bandage it?  Sorry you lost your right to medical decisions when you thought it would be a good idea to rub your finger down the blade of your skate.  That is a rule.

Tomorrow when you get done with your game, let's try to be lime green instead of brown.  Just a thought. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment