Sunday, January 2, 2011

Little Kid and Learn to Skate...

He is sooo excited... Since the big boys started hockey this season (October) he has been asking 'When do I get to skate?'  He was barely 3 so we said no, not yet.  He has asked the hockey shop man everytime he sees him when he can start.  He has finally wore everyone down.  He has been approved to start tomorrow.  We didn't tell him this...until today.  And.He.Couldn't.Be.Happier.  He has talked about it nonstop.  I am sure he is confused about what he will be doing.  I am sure he thinks he is going out there with a stick and a puck and ready to check.  That is what I am sure he thinks WILL happen.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I am sure that WON'T happen.  I taught learn to skate years ago.  I know what happens.  Especially on the first day.  There are tears, snot and bruises.  There is not skating.  There is a little standing, a little marching and lots of falling.  But he will get it.

He is very excited about this.  As I said he has talked about it all night.  As I put him to bed tonight (in underwear, no pullup for my big boy hockey player!) he told me to make sure I had all of his equipment ready.  Of course he listed off the equipment he would need.  If knowing the equipment meant being able to skate in it we would be all set.  The best was he asked for a 'tup'.  That is a cup in real words.  Nope, Little kid, you won't need one of those just yet!

I am not sure how we are going to live with another kid skating.  I am not sure how I am going to get my schedule to workout around this.  But  will figure it out.  He wants to try.  We will let him.  Hopefully he will just hate it and never want to do it again.  Hey one can hope.

UPDATE:  So we went to hockey tonight.  We reviewed the rules.  There is no crying, we listen to the coach and we try our hardest.  We have fun and we will learn.  He was well aware of the rules.  He was excited to put his equipment on.  We got a loaner helmet, because even though we have tons of equipment we can't seem to find a helmet.  He was all dressed and ready and here is how it went down.  Stand in line to go out.  Coach #1 comes by and writes his name on the tape on his helmet.  He steps out on the ice.  He stands there.  Shellshocked.  Coach #2 tries to get him to skate to her.  He won't have it.  He stands there.  He does nothing.  Coach #2 pulls his hands.  He falls.  He quickly learns he can crawl very fast on the ice and get to the yellow pucks everyone is using.  He crawled everywhere.  He crawled forward and backward.  They taught the kids to stand.  He did not learn.  He crawled.  He was lifted by his jersey by Coach #1 and pushed (upright however) to the wall.  He stood and held on to the wall.  They all turned and were suppose to skate.  He fell and crawled.  Some kind of miracle happened.  I walked away for 10 minutes and came back to a fully upright child moving.  Not skating.  But he was moving.  I went away for another 10 minutes.  I figured a miracle happened last time I went away.  Who knows.  I came back to a child crawling again and red faced.  He was crying.  He didn't want to do this anymore.  So 5 minutes early he got off the ice.  He came out BEAT red, blubbering crying.  He said that was hard.  I said yes.  He is still crying and I ask was it fun?  He says no!  I said are you going to try again? (secretly hoping he says no) He says Yes! I am going to be the bestest skater ever.  I just love that kid!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment