Saturday, March 12, 2011

Pink Eye...

No, not the disease.  Pink Eye is a kid I know.  He really isn't a kid.  I think he is 22.  He is a good kid.  Mostly.  He works with me and unlike most kids his age, he seems to genuinely care about how he does.  I have known Pink Eye for 3 years or so.  I think he was there when I came back from Maternity leave.  He was going to college for culinary arts.  He doesn't go to school anymore, but he should.  Not because the Mom in me thinks every kid should go to college.  Because he is a fantastic cook. 

He takes on a leadership role at work 3-4 days a week.  And people respect him.  Grown men who have cooked for as many years as he has been alive take orders from him.  And take them well.  That is because he knows what he is doing.  I have been in the restaurant business for 10,15, a lot of years.  And usually you don't see a kid running the show and the show running smoothly.  When Pink Eye is in charge, it is a beautiful show. 

He is a good kid in other ways too.  He listens to people well and pays attention to what they are saying and what they need.  Of course, he still is only 22 so there is a bit of immaturity and 'crinks' to work out, but mostly the kid is ok.  So Pink Eye, don't change too much... keep working hard... you are a good kid, you are funny and most of all you know how to cook my burger medium rare.  That my friend is the best trait you own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment