Friday, March 11, 2011

I can still read a map!!

With all of the technology today, sometimes I wonder if simple skills are being lost.  A clock...everyone can read a digital clock, but what about a 'hands' (that is what Middle Kid calls it)clock?  A map?  Who needs them?  We have a GPS.  If we get lost Darth Vader tells us he is reworking our trip to the dark side. (How come he only says that if we are headed to a hockey rink?  He knows!!) So last night I had to take a trip.  About an hour away.  I am a fast driver.  The GPS would have told me it was an hour and a half trip.  I don't need that stupid machine!

Well, the Head Honcho needed the GPS as well, so someone somewhere was going to have to give in.  Of course I did.  I only had one stop.  He had like 50.  I still would need directions.  I COULD have gone to a REAL map.  But do those exist?  Where do I get one?  I am not sure the local Fastrac carries them.  I have never seen them there.  So I used technology anyways.  I went to mapquest.  Here is the thing with technology.  They will plan your route and give you a few options.  I chose the shortest distance but 4 minutes longer trip.  What could go wrong. 

I read the directions on my way out the door to familiarize myself.  No biggie.  It was like 3 turns.  One hour 24 minutes.  Door to door.  I made it in One hour 4 minutes.  I figure they must have thought I was going to stop at stop signs.  (I kid, I kid)  I took care of buisness and went to leave.  I pulled out of the driveway and realized, one I never printed home directions (I am not an idiot, I will go in reverse) two...it is DARK.  Add to that the driving rain and howling winds.  I was doomed.  Good news... Little Brother is working IN the city I am in.  I call him quickly.  He was busy with something (hopefully not that standoff thingy that was going on) but I told him where I was and where I needed to be.  He gave me precise directions.  Go to the intersection and turn right.

I did.  I drove about 20 minutes and then realized, I wasn't seeing ANYTHING that looked familiar.  I pulled over and turned around.  Then things started to get familiar.  But for a very WRONG reason.  I was near a home I did a party at a few weeks ago.  One that was farther out.  Then it hit me.  Turn right.  Only I would turn left when someone specifically tells me to turn right.  Thankfully, I did make it home.  Thankfully, I didn't get hours out before I realized I was going the wrong way. 

Thankfully I can read a map, just can't follow directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment